Saturday, December 6, 2008

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

"That might have been one of the most boring NHL periods I have ever seen.
There was nothing going on."

Is that a quote from me or my Half Season Ticket Holder Buddy during the game tonight? Nope. That's a quote from winning goaltender Jason LaBarbera. Although I will say that I felt the same way. Slow and steady... that was the game tonight. Nothing flashy (except for Wayne Simmonds nice goal). But that's fine. I'll take slow and steady as long as it comes with a win.

Kings 3, Civil War Infantry 0


I'm 18, bitch.

Staples Center was empty tonight. Absolutely empty. They didn't even announce the total attendance. NHL.com had the total at 15,235 but it was nowhere close to that. There were no lines at concessions and Bailey simply handed out free tshirts instead of throwing them to wild mobs. Maybe it was because of the John Mayer concert next door but it seems that there definitely were better things to be doing in Los Angeles on this Saturday night. How empty you ask?


This empty.

I can only imagine what silence the players heard. But the Kings played a nice even game against a team (and a coach really) know for preaching defense first. Kyle Calder (gulp) actually played another decent game as did Wayne Simmonds. And I don't know why this was... but midway through the 2nd period, we weren't even sure that Alexander Frolov was dressed for this game. Turns out he was.

But the biggest mystery happened after the game. As we were leaving, I noticed that the Oscar DeLaHoya statue... the one that just went up on Monday... is gone.


I could have sworn I parked this right outside Staples.

I've poked around on the internet and nothing is coming up. So either they took it down after De La Hoya lost his fight tonight... or it was stolen and sold for meth money. If anyone has any idea, let me know.

No comments: