Friday, June 26, 2009

Don't Call it a Comeback

Earlier this morning, I received an email from the Los Angeles Kings with the subject heading "Be Part of the Comeback" and the email contained this image:

So I clicked on the image and it took me to a site where it asked for my name and my phone number. I entered in the info and then this movie began to play:



So let's think about this for a second. Here is an new ad campaign for the Kings looking to bring on some more season ticket holders... based on the concept of the "Comeback." This concept is that a team has put itself into a 3-4 goal deficit and are fighting back to tie (or lose in a shootout... like the Kings did last season in these situations.) So this campaign wants you to get excited about a team that gets out of the gate poorly at the start of a game... but finishes kinda strong! Where do I sign up to buy tickets!!! I'm not sure if this is the exact message I'd like to be portraying to my fans. I'm pretty sure the Detroit Red Wings campaign is "We score first and win!"

Also, I love getting these emails and phones calls after Half Season Ticket Holder Buddy and I have already put down our deposits for the upcoming season. (That's right, we are gluttons for an 8th season of punishment!) You think the Kings would have some sort of database that lets them know who is getting tickets and who needs to be romanced by the sweet tones of Dustin Brown's voice. My favorite part of the video... when Anze Kopitar is just casually cleaning the visor on his helmet while Brown is talking on the phone. What a method actor. And I love how they shot Brown over the shoulder on the phone... so he could read the lines off the paper in his hands.

DRAFT/CRAZY FUCKING TRADE UPDATE:
Nothing as of yet. And all of the so called actual hockey bloggers are predicting that the Kings won't be making a big move tonight. Half Season Ticket Holder Buddy and I will be watching the draft together live over Slingbox... so I'll be sure to update. In the meantime... the biggest scoop of the day comes over at Battle of California. Enjoy.

No comments: